How we support Indigenous communities
Engaging in a research collaboration can be a daunting prospect for those unfamiliar with the way academic institutions, funders and other research partners work. Having IRSI involved helps ensure that research projects meet the needs of the community and are done in a way that respects community values, practices and protocols.
IRSI provides the following support to Indigenous communities for their research collaborations:
- Serving as a point of contact for community inquiries and information
- Assisting with matching researchers with community research support needs and providing introductions
- Providing education and training for researchers to enable effective collaborations
- Identifying potential funding sources and supporting the co-development of grant applications where requested
- Identifying potential external partners for projects
- Supporting the co-development of research protocol agreements, including Indigenous Community Research Protocols and Data Management Protocols
- Supporting best practices in pre-engagement
- Gathering feedback from collaborative research partners and developing and sharing best practices, when appropriate, based on their experiences
Do you have a research project in mind? Learn more.